Monday, November 17, 2008

THE PITY PARTY IS OVER

The last three years have been a test of my faith, mental tenacity and physical endurance. I have an automimmune disorder and have had medical problems related to this for the past 25 years. Three years ago, about this time of year, I went into a coma. I had a new Dr. and I thank the Lord that he was there for me. He knew how to treat me and within a week I was out of the coma and getting better. Then I kept having flare-ups of my disorder and always seemed to be sick. I was put on large doses of prednisone to stabilize me. Prednisone weakens the bones-I was soon to find out the hard way. First, I broke my arm, then I had to have a hip replacement . A couple of months later, I was sitting in my reading chair and suddenly became cold and clammy. I told my husband to call 911-I thought I was going to die. I suffered a cardiac arrest. They shocked me 5 times at the hospital to bring me back and transferred me to a bigger hospital. The Dr's. said they had never had someone survive with their potassium level as high as mine was. My kidneys were affected and not filtering out the potassium. About a month later I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was hospitalized. I was out of the hospital and getting stronger when I almost passed out as I awoke to go downstairs. My husband caught me and said to put my arms around his neck and he tried to get me back in bed. I couldn't hold on to him and I fell and fractured both bones in my lower leg and dislocated my ankle. I had to have surgery and pins, plates and screws went into both lower bones and the ankle was positioned in place. This was about a year to the day that all my troubles started. I was so ready to get on with my life. We even went to Las Vegas with me in a cast and My hubbie wheeled me around in a wheelchair. Then for eight months I battled with a MRSA infection which finally ended up with surgery to take all the hardware out of my leg. It's been 4 months and I am still having some difficulty walking. One week ago we came home from a meditteranean cruise. My husband couldn't believe that I could keep up with him-walking all over the Colliseum in Rome, up 94 steps to the Acropolis, and walking through Pompei on the uneven and quite dangerous terrain. This was a test of my strength and endurance and I passed with flying colors and know that I am ready to stay strong and take on the world. In the last two years I have lost 70 pounds and it is easier for me to get around. In June I had a little scare. My Dr. said I had a mass on my pancreas. It was removed and was not malignant. I am done with all this bad stuff--I'm ready to live again! And next time we take a cruise it is going to be in the Carribean with Reggae music and tropical drinks served by handsome men from all over the world and if I see one more ruin I'm going to throw one of those rocks at my hubby for walking me all over the Roman Empire! But the good thing I found out was that I am back, strong and stubborn as ever. No more pity parties!

1 comment:

Indy said...

Sounds good to me. Can I come?